While studying to be a certified holistic health coach at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, I am trained in over 100 different dietary theories including vegan, Paleo, South Beach, Bio-Individuality, Best Life Diet, Gluten-Free Diet and many more. Although people are different and no one diet works for everyone, I can help you find a way of eating that will bring you to optimal health and a balanced life. I’ve tried vegan/vegetarian, Paleo, Atkins, SlimFast, and a few others for weight loss only to gain the weight back. Currently, I am following the Ayruveda lifestyle because it’s simple and do-able.
Here are the basics of Ayruvedic eating:
- Eat three meals and zip your lips in between
- Eat at right times – Break fast around 7.00 am , lunch around noon and dinner around 6-7.00 pm
- Respect the food you will be eating
- Sit Down and eat. Enjoy eating. Don’t eat on the run, or watch TV or work on the computer while eating.
- Don’t just eat raw foods. Eat freshly cooked food.
- Eat with proper frame of mind. Be happy when you eat, not depressed, worried, angry or sad. You may ingest those emotions with food, and it will not be digested well.
- Eat enough quantity that you feel full. Don’t eat less, you may end up eating in couple of hours, or don’t eat too much. It will create indigestion and you will feel lethargic.
- Take time, chew food longer. You will enjoy it more.
- My Doctor recommends eating small frequent meals – ( 5-6 times a day). Why does Ayurveda recommend eating only three meals?
- Eating three meals a day and zipping the lips in between is the perfect way of eating. It takes about 5-6 hours to go thru’ all stages of digestion. If we eat before, food stays undigested, causes gas, bloating and, discomfort. Instead of eating smaller meals, we should eat enough to feel full, so we don’t feel hungry soon.
Here’s what Dr. John Douillard (a very brilliant man and educator at IIN) says about snacking and weight loss:
Why Does ‘Snacking’ and ‘Grazing’ Discourage Fat Metabolism?
Our media is incorrectly telling us that eating many small meals a day is a better way to stabilize mood and lose weight.* This only temporarily covers up symptoms if you are hypoglycemic and have unstable blood sugar.* Eating six meals a day can never provide permanent blood sugar stability because the body will become dependent on being fed every 2-3 hours.* If a meal is missed, the blood sugar may crash again.*
If we want the body to burn fat, we must give it a reason. Why would the body burn its stored fat reserves if it is getting fed every 2-3 hours? When we eat this often, the body burns what it has just been fed and has no motivation to burn stored fat.*
How To Burn Fat
When you eat breakfast, and then nothing until lunch, and then nothing until supper, and then nothing until breakfast again, you provide a natural fast in between meals that will encourage fat metabolism.* If you have a snack, even a healthy snack like a carrot, in between breakfast and lunch you will burn the carrot but not any stored fat.* If you have nothing between breakfast and lunch, your body will be forced to burn stored fat in order to get you through to lunch without a blood sugar crash.*
In the old days folks had supper at 5 or 6 pm and then ate nothing until breakfast, around 7am. It was common to go 13 hours without food and break that fast (and thus reset fat metabolism) everyday with “break-fast.” This tradition has been in place for thousands of years around the world, until now, when we are the heaviest we have ever been.
We have decided to change thousands of years of tradition because eating full meals has become inconvenient for us. In the name of trying to stabilize blood sugar levels we have actually made the problem worse.* After a few decades of eating six meals a day, our blood sugar levels have become more unstable.* Yes, at first people feel better, but shortly thereafter the blood sugar issues become worse.* Now folks are starving after 2-3 hours without food.*
If we needed food every 2-3 hours to survive, humans would simply be extinct.*
Eating 5-6 Meals a Day is Just Not Sustainable.
I conducted a preliminary study based on my book The 3-Season Diet in 2000. We had the group eat 3 meals a day with no snacks and measured weight loss and a host of psychological factors.
Within two weeks they saw significant improvement in their:
- exhaustion after work*
- fatigue* They lost an average of 1.2 pounds per week during the 2 month study*
>>> Read the Study.
Losing Weight CANNOT Be a Struggle
The more you strain and starve yourself, the more the body perceives the weight loss program as a fat storing emergency.* To get the body to burn fat naturally you have to convince it the war is over.* We do that by encouraging the body to burn fat naturally and effortlessly.
4 Simple Steps to Permanent Weight Loss
Step 1: Eat 3 good, healthy and relaxed meals each day – with no snacks.
- Start with 4 meals a day if you need to, but work down to 3.*
- NOTE: If you have trouble eating 3 or 4 meals a day — please read about an amazing blood sugar stabilizing herb below. Graduate to Step 2 only when Step 1 is effortless.
Step 2: Make supper smaller – such as a soup or salad.*
- Graduate to Step 3 only when Step 2 is effortless.
Step 3: Make supper earlier. Eat before 6 PM*
- Graduate to Step 4 only when Step 3 is effortless.
Step 4: Skip supper 3-7 nights per week.*
- Drink copious amounts of warm water between meals.
- Enjoy one cup of herbal tea with raw honey before bed, if needed.
- Continue Step 4 for 4 -6 more weeks.
Having Difficulty with Cravings or Eating Only 3-4 Meals a Day?
If eating 3 meals a day presents a challenge, or you just can’t seem to muster the will power to give up the dark chocolate, coffee or jelly beans, or your cravings are just out of control, let me introduce to you an herb that is nothing short of amazing.
Gymnema sylvestre is an Ayurvedic herb from the milkweed family that is locally known as Gurmar and literally translated as the “Sugar Destroyer.” If you put just a taste of this herb on your tongue and then eat a Snickers bar or anything sweet, you simply do not taste the sugar.* It literally blocks the absorption of sugar through the taste buds and the intestinal wall(1)*. The active ingredient, gymnemic acids, have receptors both in the gut and on the tongue that prevent sugar absorption. When sugar absorption is blocked, cravings are reduced and blood sugar highs and lows are neutralized (1).*
When gymnema stops the utilization of sugar by blocking the availability of carbohydrates in the gut, the body is forced to burn its own fat for fuel.*
Gymnema supports blood sugar levels, which helps make the transition from 6 meals a day to 3 doable and preferable.*
Eliminate Craving Protocol:
- Take 1000mg of Gymnema before meals for 2 weeks.
- Then, take 500mg of Gymnema before meals for 4 weeks.
His teachings caught my attention and made sense to me. For 2 weeks now I have eaten only 3 meals a day and have lost 4 pounds nor am I starving or deprived of food.
Try it. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me! Peace!